The Gaja winery, founded in 1859 by Giovanni Gaja, comes from Spain in the seventeenth century. Later the family opened a tavern in Barbaresco; here you could find excellent dishes always accompanied by wines. The bottling is done at the end of the nineteenth century, a period when from Piedmont were sent to the Italian army in Abyssinia. In 1937 Giovanni Gaja placed his surname, with large red letters, on the labels of his bottles.
The company, after the Second World War, began to expand by making a significant series of purchases of vineyards. To take the reins of his grandfather, in 1961, Angelo Gaja at the age of 21, after having studied wine making at the Enological Institute of Alba and at the University of Montpellier in France, obtained a degree in economics at the University of Turin to bring his passion into the family business.
Angelo Gaja was a great experimenter and started the single vineyard production started with Sorì San Lorenzo in 1967, Sorì Tildin in 1970 and Costa Russi in 1978.
Gaja then introduced the malolactic fermentation in Piedmont, from the vintage 1975-2007 realizing French barriques ten years after the initial experiments.
Giovanni Gaja opposed the use of new barriques by his son and the decision to plant French varieties; always remaining faithful to the traditions.
Other acquisitions are: Pieve Santa Restituta in 1994, dedicated to the production of Montalcino, Gromis property in La Morra for the production of Barolo Conteisa Cerequio in 1995 and the Ca'Marcanda property in Bolgheri in 1996.
His daughters are currently taking care of the family business: Gaia and Rossana.
It should also be remembered that to give a decisive mark to the company was also Clotilda Rey, Giovanni's mother, who was interested in how to improve the quality, making it as high as possible to attract the desired clientele. Proof of this, are the prices, high and in proportion to quality and price.
Another important step is Gaja Distribuzione whose core business is the importation of wines and accessories into Italy.
In 1988 Gaja returns to Barolo with the acquisition of 70 hectares of property, here he will produce Barolo Sperss.