PHILIPPE GLAVIER

glavierveronique.jpg

_________

glavierveronique.jpg47 parcels of Chardonnay spread across the Grand Crus of Avize, Cramant, Oger and Le Mesnil-sur-Oger totalling 4.4 hectares. Classic tank fermented and malo-lactic is allowed. Dosages are all at 6gm or less. A tiny producer focusing on highest quality Chardonnay across top quality vineyards. Philippe grows some Pinot Noir but sells it off. He only wants to work with Chardonnay. All the info is on the back label!

Philippe uses a small 2,000kg pneumatic press giving him greater selectivity and control of his tiny parcels of vineyards. 27 of his parcels make up the majority of his vineyards and these are in prestigious Le Mesnil-sur-Oger and Oger vineyards. So even though Philippe is based in Cramant he only has small holdings in Cramant and Avize.

Why Cramant? His wife’s side of the family own the cuverie and buildings in Cramant. So we should really regard Philippe Glavier as a Le Mesnil-sur-Oger producer.

The style here is all about intensity and precision. These are not ‘pretty’ party wines. Theses are serious vinous masterpieces that offer a profound statement about their terroir.

 

Champagne Glavier La Grace d’Alphael Blanc de Blancs Grand Cru

Pure  and vibrant in style, this cuvée is dedicated to the angel of knowledge and light. Philippe purposefully ages this on lees for the minimum time, to accentuate the chalky mineral overtones and allow the terroir to speak. Based on 2014 and reserve wines from 2013 and 2012. Dosage 5g/l. 10% Avize and the remaining 90% from Le Mesnil-sur-Oger and Oger. Vibrantly chalky and mineral, very precise purity. This wine destroys the often used myth that sparkling wines need a long time on lees to reveal themselves. It depends on the flavor profile of the base wines. If your base wines have no flavor – yes you may have a problem, but not here! Terroir speaks. A very popular cuvee with some restaurants and wine bars in Melbourne.

Also for the first time this cuvée is available as a Zero dosage. Very different. Tight and straight with raw purity. We have a few bottles available at the same price as the standard wine, so you are welcome to mix one bottle of the zero into an order. Limited.

 

Champagne Glavier Genesis Blanc de Blancs Grand Cru

Genesis is the opposite to Alphael – with much longer lees time – large scaled and intense but with great length and elegance. Based on 2013 with reserve wines from 2012. 10% Avize and the remaining 90% from Le Mesnil-sur-Oger and Oger. Dosage 5g/l. A slightly different vineyard selection and longer time on lees ramps up the weight and power. Majestic Chardonnay with ultra fine mousse. Round and saline with citrus  and hints of floral overtones. This leans to being more of a food wine. Palate staining! This cuvée was very popular last year, two retail merchants took a sizeable chunk and cleaned me out! VERY LIMITED

Sort by:
Champagne La Grace d'Alphael
PHILIPPE GLAVIER
$30.03
Champagne Rose Idylle Celeste
PHILIPPE GLAVIER
$38.75
Champagne La Grace D'Alphael Magnum
PHILIPPE GLAVIER
$64.91
Champagne La Grace D'Alphael Zero Dosage
PHILIPPE GLAVIER
$31.97
Champagne La Grace D'Hakamiah
PHILIPPE GLAVIER
$43.59
Showing 1-5 of 5 item(s)